Home > Facts > About India
India is a country in South Asia. It is the Seventh-Largest country by area and second-largest by population and most populous democracy in the world. Home to the Indus Valley Civilization and a region of historic trade routes and vast empires, the Indian subcontinent was identified with its commercial and cultural wealth for much of its long history. Four major world religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism originated there, while Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam arrived in the first millennium CE and shaped the region’s diverse culture. India got its independence on August 15th, 1947. It was the day when the Indians got liberated from the rule of the British. Agriculture is not only the dominant occupations of the people of India but is also one of the most important economic sectors for the country.
President: Pranab Mukherjee
Shri Pranab Mukherjee assumed office as the 13th President of India on July 25, 2012, crowning a political career of over five decades of exemplary service to the nation in Government as well as Parliament.
Prime minister: Narendra Modi
India’s fifteenth Prime Minister, Shri. Narendra Modi is rightly acclaimed as a thinker and a scholar. He possesses excellent knowledge on human psychology and is also endowed with impressive organizational capabilities that are well evident in the economic and political atmosphere of present-day Gujarat.
- Full name: Republic of India
- Population: 1.27 billion
- Capital: New Delhi
- Most-populated city: Mumbai (Bombay)
- Area: 3.1 million sq km (1.2 million sq miles), excluding Indian-administered Kashmir (100,569 sq km/38,830 sq miles)
- Major languages: Hindi, English and at least 16 other official languages
- Major religions: Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism
- Life expectancy: 66.38 years (men), 68.7 years (women)
- Main exports: Petroleum products, precious stones, machinery, iron and steel, chemicals, vehicles, apparel
- Internet domain: .in
- International dialing code: +91